CMA was informed that the facility schedule for the week of 13 September WILL NOT change. Regular practices will continue to be held from 6am to 7am with an option to start at 5:30am for swimmers who require the earlier start time. The pool is currently scheduled to be configured for long course (50-meters) on Friday only. We are awaiting updates from the facility regarding the youth swim team schedule and will pass along those updates as we receive them.
Friday, September 10, 2021
Friday, September 3, 2021
The BBMAC is open on Labor Day, and there will be a practice from 6am to 7am.
Beginning on Monday, 13 September, the CMA practice schedule will be modified to accommodate a youth swim team. The Monday and Wednesday practices will be configured long course (50-meters) and split into two separate practices: 5:30am to 6:30am and 6:30am to 7:30am. The Friday practice will be configured for short course (25-yards) and remain as one practice: 6:00am to 7:00am. We anticipate that the new schedule will be used for at least two weeks. We will post another update as we receive updates from the BBMAC.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021
The practice schedule remains the same. There is currently no mask requirements to enter the Brian Bent Memorial Aquatics Complex (BBMAC). Coronado Masters offers two free tryouts to make sure the program is what you are looking for before you join.
The practice times continue to be 6:00-7:00 AM, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and cost is $60/months ($15/week prorated for a mid-month start). Note that all fees will be refunded pro rata if for any reason the program has to shut down for something like COVID for part of a month.
Occasionally, the pool will be configured for long course, but most practices are short course. We will have guest coaches from Wednesday, 21 July 2021 through Friday, 30 July 2021, while coach Rhonda is on vacation.
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Workouts started on Monday, 30 November. Below are some notes regarding the practices:
1. Facility Guidelines:
A. Facemasks are required for entry into the pool and should be worn at all times when not in the water.
B. Signed Waiver forms are required for entry into the pool.
C. $180 cash or check (made out to CMA) required at the first workout.
D. Changing is not allowed on deck, so come dressed to swim. Locker rooms are closed except for use as restrooms.
E. Swimmers must bring their own pull buoys and kickboards.
2. Waivers/Fees: During the first week (30 Nov), there will be a table located outside the pool entrance near the football field to collect waivers and pool fees. After the first week, contact Pete or talk with the coach prior to workout to provide the signed waiver form and pool fees.
3. Prior to entrance: The pool staff have set up lane numbers on the sidewalk outside the entrance and request that swimmers stand at each marker to maintain social distancing prior to the practice. Due to the current health restrictions associated with COVID-19, the pool requires that no more than 4 people can swim per lane with a maximum of two swimmers on each side.
4. Temperature Checks: The facility requires temperature checks prior to entry. The temperature checks will normally be administered by a CMA coach using a touchless thermometer provided by the facility staff. Swimmers with temperatures of 100 degrees or higher will not be allowed entry. Due to the additional time associated with pool entry, we suggest arriving early (10 minutes; 5:50am) to workouts.
5. Pool Entry: Two people of your 4 person lane group will be directed to each side of the pool. You may begin warm up as soon as you enter the pool. Warm up will end approximately 6:15 and the organized workout will start. When in the lane, one person should be on the wall at each end, and the other person at each end should be on the lane line, for social distancing.
6. Pool Exit: The pool staff requests that swimmers exit the opposite side of the long course pool relative to the side which they entered the facility.
Thursday, October 29, 2020
CMA has contacted the Brian Bent Memorial Aquatics Complex (BBMAC; www.bbmac.org) at the Coronado High School for potential practice times. The BBMAC aquatics director has graciously offered options at 6am, 8am, and 12pm to CMA on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Based on feedback from current CMA members, 6am has been identified as the preferred time slot although CMA is continuing to solicit input from non-members around San Diego who may have interest in joining the team for these practices. With sufficient interest (16 swimmer minimum), additional times (8am, 12pm) may become financially viable for the club. The club has determined that a 3-month commitment ($60/month or $180 total) is necessary to ensure CMA has the resources to reserve the pool time. CMA has been assured that members will not be charged if the pools are unexpectedly shut down; for example, if the facility is required to close for 48-72 hours because of a COVID positive test among the staff. If you are interested in these practices or have questions, please contact the CMA president, Pete, at email@example.com or 619-985-8937. Please pass along this information to other interested swimmers. Thank You!
Monday, October 12, 2020
In September, CMA communicated with the aquatics staff at the Coronado Aquatics Center and received the following update:
- The youth swim team has blocked out the pool from 3:30 to 6:30 pm every day due to the fact that only 30 can swim at a time (3/lane) so the team has to spread out the workouts
- The pool is having staffing problems that limit the hours/day they can open so they are limiting swimming to lap swimming (short course) and the youth swim team. The facility took a $1M budget hit that reduces their ability to hire staff
- There is no time available for any other activities (instruction, CMA etc) given the limited hours they are open
- If the facility ever has more hours available (i.e. more staff/budget) CMA would have to rent the entire pool (like the youth swim team), meaning that CMA would have to have about 30 swimmers each night or the cost would likely be prohibitive.
We will provide updates to this webpage when CMA can resume regular practices, but there is currently no time table to a return while the facility has limited hours.
Friday, March 13, 2020
Below is a link to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website discussing pools and COVID-19 transmission:
Information about the Coronado Aquatics Center can be found at this link:
We will post updates to the www.swimcma.org website if the schedule changes.